Float

One of the kindest and most sincere artists I have met working in comics is James Sturm.

We met in the early 1990's when we were both living in Seattle. At the time, James was the co-founder of the alternative weekly The Stranger.

He was also the first Art Director of that paper and he hired me for a fair amount of freelance work.

At the time we were both involved with Fantagraphics. He was writing and illustrating The Cereal Killings, and I was writing and illustrating short stories for anthologies.

James went on to become the co-founder of the Center for Cartoon Studies in Vermont, and he has written and illustrated numerous books, including The Golem's Mighty Swing, and Market Day.

In 1994 he asked me to illustrate a short story he had written titled Float.

I was very happy to do so.

The story was published in a Belgian anthology called Formaline.

Here it is:







Comments