Dorothy And Toto Have Landed


Recently I have been painting some watercolors of scenes from The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum. This is fun to do and is relaxing to boot, because I have never felt a deep affinity with the book, so it doesn't threaten me because I care too much about it. As a child I loved the movie and I still enjoy it whenever I see it. But the movie isn't the book. Not at all.

A strange thing about The Wizard of Oz in 2016 is that the book has been in the public domain for quite a while, but the film is NOT in public domain, the copyright is held by the film studio MGM. This means that you can illustrate the book, but you cannot have your illustrations look anything like the movie. This is fine with me as I want it to look like 2016, not like depression era America.



Comments